In the Spotlight…with Ben Treleaven
In this series called ‘In the Spotlight’ we’ll be talking to our employees and asking them questions about everything from their current role to their most unusual job and what they’d take on a desert island. Today we spoke to Ben Treleaven, our Managing Director.
1. Before working at ISO Spaces, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
Being a Stockbroker was interesting when I was much younger, I also bottled milk in a dairy.
2. How do you balance your career at ISO Spaces with your home life?
By integrating them where possible, and making sure I enjoy what I do. When you own a business, a total separation is very difficult.
3. What does a typical day look like for you?
In my mind, or in reality, I’ll go for a good day. Up at 5:30am and then a bike ride or Peloton ride, followed by catching up on emails and having breakfast. I’ll generally work from home or maybe head to the office if I need to go in. There are also lots of internal and external Zoom calls. Perhaps some golf in the late afternoon or a working lunch with clients or colleagues. I’ll spend more time on work in the early evening and then have dinner in or out with my girlfriend.
4. How has ISO Spaces helped you in your career development?
I can’t even begin to tell you. I’ve basically learned over the years to be:
d. Forklift driver (I have a license!)
h. Project Manager
Basically all of the jobs required within a business. Whilst my previous career in finance had a lot of hard coded qualifications, the tacit knowledge and skills I’ve picked up over the years here is immeasurable.
5. What advice do you have for prospective ISO Spaces candidates?
Take ownership! And run everything as if it’s your own business. Use your own initiative and build your own business within our business.
6. What are 3 words to describe ISO Spaces?
BEST IS BEST
7. How has ISO Spaces changed since you started working for them?
There were two of us in a very small shed…and now there are over 50 of us in a series of much larger, nicer sheds.
8. What has been your favourite project at ISO Spaces?
The housing is my favourite part for the rewards of product development and building a business for the future. As a pet project though I would say the EIS Haus, Ice Bar.
9. What have you gained from working at ISO Spaces?
So many different things. My network has expanded hugely, as has my knowledge.
10. What are three lessons you’ve learned across your entire career?
Listen first. A “can-do” attitude conquers all. You can teach skills but not attitude.
11. If you could do any other job for the one day, what would it be?
12. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
13. What was the name of the last book you read?
You Only Live Twice
14. If you were stuck on an island what three things would you bring with you?
iPhone, Girlfriend, Kindle.
15. Do you have a motto or personal mantra?
‘Best is best’